Monday, March 08, 2010

Charting 'Dayflower'


Dayflower is a really pretty pattern in Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns, but it only has written directions. I was looking for a challenge for my charting skills and this one looked like a good one. It took me a while, but I figured it out. Here are some of the steps I used.

Charting 'Dayflower', originally uploaded by fuzzyjay.
I photocopied the picture of the Dayflower pattern from Barbara G. Walker's Treasury, then drew circles over the yarn-overs, then blue lines to join the yarn-overs on the same row. Next, I used red lines to show stitch-columns and decreases, referring to the written pattern. Eventually, through several iterations, I transferred this to graph paper. The trick was to find where to distribute the "no stitch" squares in the graph of the pattern.

Straightening out the lines that represent rows, with no regard to spacing of stitches:
"Dayflower" Diagram

Eventually I got to this point where I could arrange the stitches on a chart. The trick there was to figure out, based on the photo and the previous attempt, how to move the rows back and forth for best alignment of the stitch columns.:
Dayflower Diagram, neatened

Once I had the stitch columns aligned properly vertically, I could do the more-detailed stitch diagram. This one shows the path of the yarn through all the stitches, but not the actual over-and-under crossings of the yarn as the stitches are made. It's a bit sketchy because I only did one half of a repeat, then used Photoshop to flip and copy the repeats, and my Photoshop skills are not the best:

dayflower-detail-diagram-repeated

As I've said before, I'd rather figure out 5 ways to diagram a knitting pattern than knit it. I'm all about understanding the architecture...

I am grateful that iLoveButter on Flickr has shared this photo under a Creative Commons license so I can show you the pattern used in a garment (before blocking, which will open up the lace):
Dayflower Camisole
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Orangecatgarden9/23/2011 9:46 AM

    The pattern Day Flower has fascinated me.  I was going to do some socks using it when I realized Barbara Walker's pattern was for back and forth knitting.  I was in Portland visiting my sister and happened into a knit shop, I believe it was the Yarn Garden and saw a pair of socks sitting on the counter.  Day Lilly!!  So I called them when I got home and found out they have the sock pattern for sale and sent for it.  It is still in my stash.  (I have hunter gatherer issues)
    Orange Cat Garden

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...